Yesterday, I watched this ted talk by Bhutan’s Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay sharing his insightful views about today's climate change as well as the transformation of his nation. And this recipe I have here was inspired by him and his people for braving the climate change that’s actually caused by many of us.
This polpetta recipe is nothing wow but the wow side is that you could use up all your leftover rice, beans, and veggies. In case you can’t finish these veggie meatballs at one go, you could use the leftover polpetta to make a vegetarian meatball pasta dish.
Honestly, homecooking is not hard. The only tricky part is to know how to minimize waste. And that is what I’ve always been trying to do. As a part of today's humanity, I think the least that we could do is to live with a little empathy. I hope some of you might agree with me and join me on this mindful practice.
Servings: 8 - 10 eggplant balls
Preparation Time: 10 - 15 minutes
Cooking Time: about 1 hour
1 medium size eggplant, cut into small dices
1/2 can lentils
1 bowl cooked brown rice
3-4 tbsp chickpea flour
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp chopped spring onion
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce
1-1.5 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp mixed spices powder
2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. On a baking tray, drizzle 2-3 tbsp of olive oil with eggplants and garlics. Season. Roast for about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Blend the squeezed garlic pulps, eggplant, and 1 cup of breadcrumbs in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer the eggplant mixture to a large mixing bowl. Mix brown rice, lentils, eggs, chickpea flour, spring onion, chopped ginger, soy sauce, and mixed spices powder. Season a tiny bit if you like.
- Use your hands to make each small eggplant ball(polpetta) and sprinkle more breadcrumbs around each polpetta. Transfer these little polpetta to a baking tray with a baking sheet. Roast them for around 25-30 minutes.
- Serve the eggplant polpetta with whatever sauce you like. I served them with sriracha yogurt and mayo sauce. Enjoy!