This dish is inspired by a food blog called tasty-yummies. I often crave the refreshing taste of lime especially when the weather gets warmer. The highlight here really is the fries and the lime zest aioli on the side. :) I didn't follow everything that Beth did with her recipe. I couldn't go to the wet market due to the horrific weather these few days. So I just got my potatoes from Park n' Shop near my house. I'm not going to yap too much here and go right to the recipe. Please give it a try at home if you have time over the weekend. It's so easy to eat well. :)
Servings: 1 person
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
1 baked potato*, julienne
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
2 slices of bread, toasted with butter
1 tbsp butter (I used my own homemade herb butter for this sandwich)
1 slice kraft cheese
1-2 small lime zest
1/2 lime juice
1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
extra-virgin olive oil
* Special preparation for the fries before baking: Soak the fries in cold water for at least 30 minutes or overnight then rinse with water after. Pat dry and mix the fries with 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, season with salt, pepper, lime zest, and cayenne pepper. Transfer the seasoned fries to a baking dish with 2 tbsp of olive oil on the baking sheet and lay them evenly on the baking dish without overlapping.
Instructions for the fries:
1) Preheat the oven at 180ºC.
2) Bake the fries for 30-40 minutes until crispy. Check occasionally to avoid burning by using a spatula to move the fries or flip them to the other sides.
Instructions for the sandwich:
1) While baking, preheat a frying pan with a little oil, add onions and cook until the onions are translucent and caramelized on medium-low heat. This should take about 5-10 minutes. Set aside.
2) With the same frying pan, add a little oil under medium-low heat, pour in the whisked egg, season. The scrambled egg should be done in less than 3 minutes.
3) Combine the egg, cheese, and caramelized onion on the toasts to make a sandwich.
Instructions for lime zest aioli:
Add 2 tbsp of mayonnaise with chopped garlic, lime zest and lime juice. Feel free to add a little cayenne pepper powder for a little extra kick.