We all know that quinoa is a superfood packed with goodies and popular amongst many especially for the vegetarians and vegans. I was introduced to such wonderful ingredient about 7 years ago by Life Cafe in Soho. I've been eating them since then. Quinoa is not only good for salads but they make awesome patties for burgers. That's what I love about cooking, it is full of endless possibilities. I have been making quinoa patties for awhile but the burger that I had today is my new experiment. The result was surprisingly delicious and I would love to share this recipe with you. I used an english muffin instead of a bun and I used a little bit of edamame pesto that I made the other day. I am very happy and satisfied with its taste. Please give it a try if you have time this weekend. :)
Servings: 8 patties
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
2.5 cups quinoa, cook according to package label*
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 vegetable stock tablet
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 bunch(1/2 cup) chopped spring onions
1 handful chopped parsley
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
extra-virgin olive oil
1) Cook the quinoa in a small pot with water and add the 1/2 vegetable stock tablet to the quinoa. After it's cooked, let it cool off.
2) Get a large mixing bowl, add the chopped vegetables, herbs, quinoa, eggs, grated parmesan, and bread crumbs. Mix well. Season.
3) Preheat a frying pan with a generous amount of olive oil on medium-low heat. Pan fry each side of the patties for about 3-5 minutes until the patties turn golden.
Remarks: Please DO NOT flip the patties without frying for at least 3 minutes on each side.
Ingredients for each burger:
1 quinoa patty
1 english muffin, toasted
radish and cucumber pickles
cucumber and radish pickles
a handful of mixed greens
2 thinly sliced roasted beets
hot and sweet sauce
1 tbsp butter
1) Toasted the english muffins with butter. Spread pesto on one side of the muffin.
2) Top with beets, greens, pickles, patty, and a touch of the hot and sweet sauce.