My mom got some mighty fresh Chinese chive from the wet market yesterday. I woke up with a massive headache so I figure I should make something hearty to cure my hangover. My dumplings are really simple and quick to make. I didn't make the dumpling skin myself. Instead, I got the pre-made dumpling wraps from the market. This saves my time a whole lot. I normally make a batch and store them in the freezer for my lazy days. :)
Servings: 30 dumplings
Preparation Time: 30-40 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
1 lb fresh Chinese chive, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 small bowl of chopped spring onions
2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1 package cellophane noodles, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes
2 tbsp sesame oil
extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
30 pre-made dumpling skins
For the fillings--
1) Preheat a frying pan with oil, add garlic, some spring onion, and fresh ginger; cook for 3-5 minutes under medium low heat.
2) Add the chopped carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the Chinese chive and cellophane noodles. Cook under medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Add sesame oil and soy sauce. Season. Turn off the fire.
3) Transfer the filling to a large bowl for wrapping the dumplings. To make the dumplings, simply spoon 1 tbsp filling to the center of the dumpling skin, use a knife to dip into the egg mixture and spread evenly around the edge of each dumpling, then start folding the dumpling from one corner to the other.
4) Once the dumplings are all wrapped, fry the dumplings in a preheated frying pan with oil under medium heat. Add 1/2 cup of water and lid on to allow the dumplings to be cooked fully. Let them cook with the lid on for about 5-8 minutes.
5) Transfer the dumplings to a plate and garnish before serving. I pair my fried dumplings with a small bowl of udon in miso soup.
For the dumpling dipping sauce:
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp chili oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 small bowl chopped spring onion
1/2 garlic clove, finely chopped
Instructions: Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.