Like many other bread recipes, these are the essential ingredients.
Serving: 10-12 pretzels
Preparation Time: 1 hour 45 minutes - 2 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for the dough:
3 cups white bread flour or all purpose flour
1 cup warm water
2.5 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp olive oil
Instructions for the dough:
1) Mix water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes until the mixture starts foaming.
2) In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, oil, and the yeast mixture with a wooden spoon. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, and start kneading by hands for 5 minutes.
3) Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rise for an hour.
4) When the dough has doubled its size, punch it in the middle to release the extra air inside the dough.
5) Transfer to the lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out a flat sheet.
6) Cut into 10-12 strips and tie each strip into a knot.
7) Place the knots 1-2 inches apart of each other on a baking sheet. Place a plastic sheet on the baking tray and cover with the damp towel for 30-40 minutes. Let the knots rise a bit more.
8) Preheat oven at 190ºC, bake the knots for 20 minutes until they are golden brown.
9) Brush the garlicky butter oil on each knot. Sprinkle sea salt and grated cheese on top. Serve whatever sauce you like with your pretzels.